DID YOU KNOW?
Did you know that our fine European wines started their journey from the ancient times of Thrace? Yes, millennia before the divine drink was found in France, Italy and Spain, the ancient authors describe the unique qualities of the Thracian elixir, created in the lands where today we find Bulgaria.
Thracians were the first inhabitants of the eastern part of the Balkan Peninsula and part of northwestern Asia Minor, which now falls in the lands of modern Bulgaria. Thracians were known as the creators of wine culture, which is evident in the unique finds of ancient treasures and the rich images found on wine drinking vessels, portrayed by legends of religious mysteries and libations.
In Bulgaria are found priceless treasures from the time of Dionysus and the Thracians as well as some unique Bulgarian vine varieties - Pamid, Red Muscat, Dimyat, Gamza, Mavrud and Broadleafed Melnik, from which it is believed that Winston Churchill had the habit of ordering 500 liters of wine each year.
Today Bulgaria proudly takes its place among the top producers of high quality wines in Europe. And now it’s time we introduce our tasty wines to a country that is more than ready to meet them – hello, USA!
The campaign that we call FINE EUROPEAN WINES is funded with the financial support of the European Union and the Republic of Bulgaria and aims at carrying out numerous successful promotional events in the USA, so that you can have the chance to taste our finest wines and fall in love with them.
If you find the time to participate in our planned promotional events over the next two years, you will learn much about:
- why our fine European wines are the new trend in the wine world;
- the wine sector in Bulgaria and its place in the European Union;
- the wine-growing regions in the country, qualities and characteristics of the vine grape varieties in Bulgaria;
- climate and relief features of the country and the characteristics of wines with a PDO/PGI and varietal wines without PDO/PGI;
- traditions associated with the cultivation of grapes and production of wine from antiquity and found archaeological and historical evidence for this;
- the specific requirements on national and European level regarding the cultivation of vineyards under standards for organic farming and production of Organic wines;
- need we say more?
Now take a look at the specific dates and venues where you can taste some fine European wines - CALENDAR OF EVENTS.